Ask a Urologist   »  

Have pain and irritation in urethra after ejaculation. Virgin and tested negative for STD. On ciprofloxacin and urogesic

hi doctor,

i have been experiencing some pain and irritation (sometimes its itchy too) in my urethra for the past couple of days, it has happened everytime after i ejaculate. i am still a virgin and have been tested for STDs and nothing came out positive. 2 months ago i was on ciprofloxacin and urogesic and that cured the pain, but its back now. any ideas on whats going on and what i can do to feel better?
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Guru 44 minutes later

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!

Your problem may be due to genital tract infections like urethritis, prostatitis or because of urethra.

As you were previously treated with antibiotics, and it subsided, it possibly hints towards infection. If you were my patient I would investigate for urethritis and UTI by ordering investigations like Urethral swab, Complete urine examination, Complete blood count and ESR to exclude infection. Meantime, I advise you to take good amount of water like 2 to 3 liters per day.

Please let me know if you have any further queries!

Hope this helps!

Follow-up: Have pain and irritation in urethra after ejaculation. Virgin and tested negative for STD. On ciprofloxacin and urogesic 8 minutes later
my family doctor carried out a comprehensive urine test and found no irregularities. he hasn't tested for urethritis (however i don't experience any pain while urinating so this might be not what we are dealing with here).

i will drink more water to help flush out the bacteria but will consult for a urethral swab if it worsens.

Answered by Dr. Guru 15 minutes later

Thanks for the update and follow up. Even if you do not experience any pain while urinating, we can suspect urinary tract infection based on your symptoms. So, I advise you again to get tested for UTI as well. I would appreciate if you drink more water.

Dr Vasanth