Have pain above hip and back constantly. Had neurofen and paracetamol with no help. What other solution?

I have pain just above my hip, at the back. It is constant, very sharp and much worse when I lift my leg to drive or go up steps. Heir fen and paracetamol dull it but it does not go. 2 days and nights....
Not heir fen!
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your question. I will do my best to help you.

What you describe here could have many causes. My first thoughts are however osteoarthritis of your hip joint.

The quickest way to sort this out would be for you to have x-rays of you hips (to compare one with the other) and of you LS spine. Nerve root compression is another possibility. A simple x-ray is the quickest and least expensive test to point you down the road of a definitive diagnosis.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.