Have pace maker and had a mitro valve replaced. Heart muscle is at 35% of its capacity. Reason?

My heart muscle is at 35% of its capacity. I do have a pace maker, and I have had a mitro valve replaced. I also have had atrilfibulation for a long time. Can the pace maker be adjusted to compensate of the heart muscle and increase the 35%
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 49 minutes later

The answer to your first query as to whether the pace maker can be adjusted to increase the ejection fraction of the heart or not, the answer is , no. The ejection fraction cannot be improved just by adding the pacemaker to the heart. The job of the pace maker is to maintain the heart rate and not to improve the functioning of the heart.

Secondly it is impossible to predict for how long your heart is going to function for anybody. Hopefully it is going to function for long. I will advise you to make sure that you go for walks for half an hour daily and avoid drinking excess fluids (less than 1 litre per day) and avoid fried foods and red meat.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.