Have over active thyroid and prescribed hypovolemic. Having hair loss and hot sweats. Feet swollen and urine smells. Should I go to doctor?

Endocrinologist
Question
I have a over active thyriod and have been prescribed 50mg of propylthiouracil which I have been taking for three weeks I have lost most of my hair, lost my appetite, have hot sweats and today my feet have swelled up like balloons been like it for 5 hours that haven't gone done and my urine smells should I inform my doctor?
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Some of the symptoms you are reporting can occur with over-treatment with propylthiouracil. However they can potentially occur with under-treatment as well. The best way to be sure is to run a blood test for thyroid function ie TSH and free T4, to see what is the exact thyroid status.
Regardless, it is worthwhile consulting your doctor to comprehensively assess the situation. in general, recent guidelines are discouraging the use of propylthiouracil owing to rare but potentially fatal side effects on the liver.

Follow-up: Have over active thyroid and prescribed hypovolemic. Having hair loss and hot sweats. Feet swollen and urine smells. Should I go to doctor? 13 minutes later
Do u think it would be beneficial to my health to seek private healthcare I'm supposed to start fertility treatment which I can not start till my thyriod is sorted out I'm 37 and I'm getting scared time is running out

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Seek the best healthcare you can because only a formally trained endocrinologist is best equipped to manage this condition adeptly. In addition you have this fertility treatment, and hence the over-active thyroid situation merits close attention even more.
Propylthiouracil use is recommended during the first trimester of pregnancy as opposed to methimazole which is associated with fetal birth defects.