Have ovarian hyperstimulation, had infertility treatment. Having pain while pooping and shortness of breath

I have ovarian hyperstimulation I just had infertility treatment with lots of follicles but I didn't have the eggs retrieved...I went to ER five days ago and I received one iv....I didn't know I wasn't supposed to have sexual intercourse....I had severe pain last night and XXXXXXX poop this morning...very mild shortness of breath....should I worry
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Ovarian hyperstimulation is a problem that occurs with the use of fertility medications. It is not common, but it is definitely discussed with patients as a risk. It usually is associated with a significant amount of "third-spacing" of fluids. We use this term to describe fluid that appears where it is not supposed to be - most commonly in the abdomen. But, third-spacing of fluid can also occur into the base of the lungs. Given that you have been diagnosed with this problem AND you are now complaining of mild shortness of breath, I believe that you need to be evaluated as soon as possible, today! As far as the bowel movements, this is of less concern and will likely resolve on its own.

Go get checked out where they have the ability to perform imaging if needed - i.e. an ER, not an urgent care.

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have additional questions.
Follow-up: Have ovarian hyperstimulation, had infertility treatment. Having pain while pooping and shortness of breath 1 hour later
What if the shortness of breath went away?
I am on vac and will be back home Thursday night the shortness of breath went away is it safe to wait til
I get back
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 16 minutes later
I would say that if a patient presented with a similar story and had been evaluated in the ER where they thought she was stable enough to be managed at home, and who had some pain and self-limited shortness of breath but was otherwise feeling better than when she presented to the ER - then yes, I would probably say it was okay to wait for her to be seen. I would tell her, though, that if ANY symptoms worsened (shortness of breath, pain, fever, decreased urine output) that she would need to be seen more urgently!

I hope that this helps!