Have ovarian failure and prescribed Vagifem. How many days to abstain from unprotected sex?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Hello, I am 25 with ovarian failure and prescribed Vagifem. How many hours/days must you abstain from unprotected intercourse to avoid your partners penis from absorbing the medication?
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 23 minutes later
Hello
It is a concern for women using Vagifem about systemic absorption of the drug for their partner through the mucosa.
You should not have sexual intercourse right after Vagifem.
Generally, the recommendation is to wait for a few hours ( 2 - 3 hours ) at least after inserting Vagifem before having unprotected sexual intercourse.
Hope that answers your query.

Follow-up: Have ovarian failure and prescribed Vagifem. How many days to abstain from unprotected sex? 19 minutes later
My fiance and I thank you for the response. Although condom use would be the safest option to avoid absorption, will waiting at least 1-3 days after the dose have any negativeeffect on him at all?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Thanks for the appreciation.
Waiting atleast 1 - 3 days after the dose will have absolutely no negative effect on him.
A few hours' wait is what literature recommends.
Do not worry.

Follow-up: Have ovarian failure and prescribed Vagifem. How many days to abstain from unprotected sex? 34 minutes later
My deepest thanks. You as well :)

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 hours later
Nice interacting with you.
Bye.
:)