Have ostioarthritis, have ear ache, headache, trouble swallowing, dry mouth, stiff neck and memory loss. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
Question
I am 72 years old, female. I have austioarthritis. For about 2 years I have had an ear ache, headache, trouble swallowing,very dry mouth, stiff neck, tounge feels funny. I feel angry and iritated ( not me). Considerably less hearing in left ear than right. All of this is on the right side. And the thing that bugs me the most is loss of memory - words - I can't remember words.
all of this is on the left side - can't think either - yes left side.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
fMRI,HRCT Brain, TemporalBones, Neck. Neuro exam

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Anomic Aphasia (difficulty in remembering words) is unlikely to be only due to a hearing problem.

2. A Neurologist may prescribe an MRI Brain Scan. Functional MRI is a newer imaging modality that can locate the activity in the temporal and parietal regions of the brain.

3. I would also recommend an MRI Neck with HR (High Resolution) CT Temporal Bones in addition as you have symptoms such as an ear ache, headache, trouble swallowing, a very dry mouth, stiff neck, odd sensations on the tongue, anger, irritation and decreased hearing.

4. Hence I would urge you to seek immediate medical attention. You may follow up with the reports here.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have ostioarthritis, have ear ache, headache, trouble swallowing, dry mouth, stiff neck and memory loss. Suggest? 16 hours later
Thank you - A MRI is scheduled for this Wednesday, the 18th. I don't know exactly what kind of MRI - but certainly the brain (I hope). Appreciate your comments - it's time to find out what's going on.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may follow up with the MRI report here.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes, the MRI is an important investigation in your case.

2. You may follow up with the reports here.

Regards.