Have osteroarthritis especially bad in knee and finger. Cannot bend them. Take glucosamine and steroid injections.Advise?

I have osteroarthritis that is especially bad in one knee, and two fingers of one hand. It is so bad on the two fingers that I can no longer bend them and they ache all of the time. I take glucosamine, get steroid injections for my knee, but the pain is still great.
Do you have any recommendations for reducing arthritis pain? Will I ever be able to move my fingers again?
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 3 hours later
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative condition however latest research states that it too is an inflammatory condition.
Some drugs like glucosamine are used widely but we are not sure about it's benefits.
The therapies which are proven to help are
Local measures like fomentation
Application of pain relieving gels containing diclofenac.
Taking paracetamol for pain if required.
Exercising the joints, building muscle
And certain medicines like duloxetine to manage pain better.
Other things like meditation and deep breathing exercises should also help.