Have osteopenia and advised to take Actonel. What are the side effects and suggest natural course?

Hi there...I have osteopenia and my doctor would like me to take Actonel. I have read the possible side affects and would rather not take a drug. Can I use natural sources instead to slow down this process?
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Thank you so much for this query. I am Dr. Ditah and feel honored having this opportunity to address your health questions today. I am so sorry to hear about this recent diagnosis of osteopenia.

I understand you have taken a critical look at the possible side effects of this drug and have come to the conclusion that you will not accept using it. It is your right to accept or deny any medication and I totally respect you on that point. However, I wish to find out which of the side effect(s) made you to deny using it. This is because, there may be different formulations that can circumvent them and or even other drugs that can be added to prevent or minimize the intensity of these side effects.

Home remedies that address osteopenia and prevent rapid progression of bone loss are the following: Avoid excess alcohol consumption, stop tobacco consumption(if you do smoke), regular physical exercise(weight bearing), increase calcium and VitD intake, adopting a lifestyle that prevents you from XXXXXXX encounters that can let to fractures(falls prevention).

I hope this answers your query fully. If there are any specifics you had wish for that I have not addressed, Please, ask follow up questions and I will be very happy to address them. Once more, thank you so much for this opportunity.I wish you good health.
Dr. Ditah, MD.