Have osteoarthritis, lower abdominal pain and sacroiliac joint pain. How to get relief?

General Surgeon

I was just surfing but I do have pains, that come and go, low down in my tummy (on the right side, initially), now in my left, as well. They started about 2 weeks ago - not serious but enough to warrant an intake of breath.

I also have a more serious pain in my sacroilliac (?) joint that I have had on and off for some years and it has flared up again. It is quite debilitating - in that when it is bad I can't put any weight on my right leg - BUT I can "walk it out" if you understand!

I also have osteoarthritis at the base of my spine and two bones are fused together.

All in all, that part of my body is permanently painful.

I am a 65 year old woman and otherwise healthy

Posted Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Your back pain is most likely caused by spine disc herniation which is compressing spine nerves. This pain can come and go depending of how hard is the compression. You should have this checked with spine MRI as there might be necessary to have some surgery on it.
Lower abdominal pain can be caused by urinary tract stones (the pain can radiate to the back), ovarian diseases(cancer should be always ruled out), uterus disease or even colon cancer.
The urinary tract problem usually gives frequent urinating and burning while urinating. Ovarian or uterus problems can give no other symptoms, sometimes strange bleeding from vagina can appear.
Colon cancer should always be ruled out in people over 50 years old. If you have had constipations or/and diarrheas recently, any blood or mucus in stool, tiredness, weight lost, you should have colonoscopy performed. Moreover, every person over 50 years old should have colonoscopy every 10 years even without any symptoms.
You should also have full blood work, urine analysis, Ca-125 blood level, gyneacologist consult and transvaginal ultrasound.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.