Have osteoarthritis in heels. Done acupuncture. Is this good? Can you help me with medication for relief?

Hi I have Osteoarthriitis in my heels can you help me with medication for relief I have been having accupuncture the last couple of weeks is this a good thing or not.
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 30 minutes later

Osteoarthritis of heels is unusual without osteoarthritis of knees; rather it may be a plantar fascitis, a similar problem in symptomatology.

The painkillers are difficult to tolerate at your age.

I am sure you can cut down the pain by 75% of its severity without any drugs with a very simple intervention-

Get HEEL PADS, wear them at heels, and wear soft sole shoes.

This would off-load your heels of the pressure generated from body weight and will reduce inflammation, swelling and pain.

The HEEL PADS/ HEEL CUSHIONS of soft rubber orthosis and multiple designs and softness grades are available. Typical good quality stuff would give a feel of jelly like softness and flexibility.

Try it and you will feel a great relief. They are effective in both osteoarthritis and plantar fascitis.

Meanwhile, you can take Ultracet- Paracemol and tramadol to get relief from pain. I am not sure if this is OTC (Over the Counter) drug in your country.

I hope the advice would be helpful for you. Please do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Follow-up: Have osteoarthritis in heels. Done acupuncture. Is this good? Can you help me with medication for relief? 2 hours later
Hi thanks for your advice in actual fact my Dr. put it down a damaged heel but it has also appeared in both heels another suggestion it maybe the tendons. I am getting symptoms of burning and like a kneedle being stuck into my feet. Not being able to put my left foot on the floor after I have been sitting just for a wee while also when I get up out of bed in the morning I am having accupuncture at the moment in both heels and lower back not sure whether this is the right treatment either. Have tried cushions in my shoes will look further into those. Regards Maureen.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
I do not have experiance with accupuncture, so can not say how much that will be helpful or harmful.
But I would still advise you to give HEEL CUSHIONS a second chance and wear them all the time when you are bearing weight.
And ofcourse, get the best quality cushions as I had described earlier.
Hope you will get relief.