Have one sided headache. Suggest permanent cure for migraine?

hi doctor, is there any permanent cure for migraine....? i usually get one sided head ache...? kindly suggest me the solution...?
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prasad 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is preventable...

Detailed Answer:

The current medical treatment options are successful in preventing migraine attacks and giving you a migraine free life; however it doesn't promise a permanent cure. If your migraine attacks are very frequent and affecting your daily life and activities, I recommend use of prophylactic medications to prevent them.

Of the various prophylactic medications available, my favorite which I regularly use on my patients is amitriptylline. I start with 25mg once a day dose and gradually increase and reduce them based on patients tolerance and response. You can try this under guidance of your doctor. If you are on this drug regularly, it can take couple of weeks time to see the response.

In addition to prophylactic medicine, I also provide the following useful tips to prevent migraine attacks:
1. Never fast. You skip food and you risk yourself to a fresh attack.
2. Never keep yourself awake. Proper sleep is extremely important for us to taper medicines and keep you headache free.
3. Avoid very long sun exposure.
4. Avoid very strong perfumes and aromas
5. Keep a dairy and document the events which occurred before each attack. It can help you identify some common trigger points. You can avoid those.

Preventing migraine headaches is equivalent to curing it.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.