Have one shoulder smaller than the other one and makes a sound while rotating shoulder. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Doctor,

I'm 24 year old boy , I need 1 help.. My left shoulder is small compared to my right shoulder . And when ever i rotate the left hand there is some sound coming from left shoulder like of we press our fingers..

And now a days left shoulder is paining more and i can't sleep at night .

Please help..
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be ligament injury

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us

I have studied your case.

According to your symptoms it looks like there may be injury to glenoid labrum [cushion in shoulder joint], or rotator cuff injury which can be due to injury while playing sports or repeated micro trauma.

I would like to ask you some details, like do you had any injury to your shoulder in past? Are you in some sports activity? Is there any snapping sound when you do movement of shoulder?

Another possibility looks as there can be snapping syndrome. If this snapping becomes painful then we need to intervene.
My advise will be to go for MRI shoulder so that we can see is there any labrum tear or Any rotator cuff tear. If MRI comes to normal then snapping syndrome should be considered.

You may start INTERFERENCE THERAPY, ULTRASONIC THERAPY, which are helpful in your case. You may consult physiotherapist for further guidance.

If MRI shows injury to some ligaments then arthroscopic repair can be done .

Hope this helps. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Have one shoulder smaller than the other one and makes a sound while rotating shoulder. Suggest? 9 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX , Happy independence day .

Thanks for the early response.. I started going to gym at 18 year old , but my shoulder is getting bigger as i work out but left there is no improvement..
And when ever i move my shoulder i can hear the snap sound..

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry about snapping sound

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Happy independence day,

You do not worry about snapping unless its painful.
Some individual may have snapping joint tendency with all other parameters normal.

You can consider MRI scan to look for structural injury.