Have numbness, muscle cramps across back, yellow stools and diabetic. Had a prostate surgery. Related to pancreas?

I have kind of a numbness/muscle cramp feeling across my back. Also have yellow stools lately. Am diabetic (type II) and had recent prostate surgery. Could this all be tied to my pancreas?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Numbness and muscle cramps across the back can be related to your age related spinal degeneration like spondylitis/disc problem.

Prostate surgery or Diabetes are not likely to cause back numbness or muscle cramps.

Diabetes can cause peripheral Neuropathy resulting in Numbness and pain in the foot.

Doing an MRI and X-ray of the spine under the guidance of Orthopedician will be helpful in diagnosis.

Regarding your yellow stools, I would like to few more things to comment on the cause and treatment.

1. Since when you are suffering?

2. Do you have yellow stools or pale stools?

3. Is there any change in frequency and consistency of stool?

4. Is there any other associated complaints like pain abdomen, passing blood/mucus in the stool?

Hope this answers your query. Awaiting your reply with the answers to above question to guide you better.

Follow-up: Have numbness, muscle cramps across back, yellow stools and diabetic. Had a prostate surgery. Related to pancreas? 12 hours later
My stools were yellow for two days, and now are normal. I do have mucus attached to my stools periodically. As far as blood is concerned, the only blood seems to come from my hemroids. I have had some pain in my lower abdomen.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Thanks for writing again.

Stools normally contains a small amount of mucus. Lots of gas and indigestion is commonly associated with passage of some amount of mucus in the stools.

Now that your stools have come back to normal there is nothing to worry.

Mild pain in lower abdomen might be associated with intestinal infection which was causing the loose stools also.

If the pain is persistent then you need to have proper investigations like ultrasound abdomen under the guidance of your physician to rule out the organic causes.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.