Have numbness in legs and fingers with anal pain. Given suppositories and folic acid. Due to vitamin deficiency?

Hi, numbness in legs, numbness in finger tips now spread to fingers. Intense anal pain on 2 day cycle as GP has given me suppositories. Also folic acid but nothing else. Been to 2 GP's and a specialist. have seen comments about B12 deficiency on Inet and wondered if it was that?
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 1 hour later
Thanks for consulting us.
There could be a number of reasons for numbness, in addition to vitamin B deficiency.
It can also be found in patients with high blood pressure, diabetes or in obese people. Other more complicated cause could be any nerve entrapment.
If you have the above mentioned medical problems you should see a physician for good control. If you are obese concentrate on weight loss. You may also start taking vitamin B supplements. If none of the above reason apply to you, you should report this issue to a neurologist. The doctor can then localize if there is any nerve entrapment etc & can be the best person to suggest you any treatment.
Your anal pain certainly needs investigation & you should see a general surgeon for anal examination. You may be having hemorrhoids, fissure or even a fistula. This doctor can then suggest you a specific treatment for the problem found.
You should start using high fibre diet & drink plenty of water.
I have given you some important lines of action & I hope this way you may find a solution for your problem. Please write back if you want to share any other thoughts.
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Have numbness in legs and fingers with anal pain. Given suppositories and folic acid. Due to vitamin deficiency? 51 minutes later
Thanks for that. No weight gain issues, as I have been losing weight, about 5kg in the last few weeks, now At 89 kg. The numb legs are causing balance issues and I have stumbled a few times. The number fingers mean loss of sensation and this affects typing and all the normal daily tasks. The leg dumbness started in april, the numb fingers on 31 May, has got worse since. The anal paid has come and gone, I had heamaroid treatment (suppostitories back in 2011. Other issues are forgetfullness and mood swings, very irratable due to the inconcebience and pain (mainly anal). No interest in food! I think the specialist is on the nerve entrapment theory basis, but everything takes soooo long! April to now and no relief!
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 2 hours later
You are welcome here with all your questions.
I appreciate that you are really suffering a lot. Your increasing numbness & loss of sensation clearly points to a neurological issue.
If you are a smoker, please consider stopping it. If you are taking any drug please report it to your doctor as all these may represent side effects of medicine. I still recommend you to keep in touch with a neurologist & get a review appointment with your surgeon who treated hemorrhoids.
Hope you get well soon.