Have numbness in leg, swelling in ankle and leg. Was line dancing. Any problem with me?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have numbness in my leg, swelling in ankle and leg, heaviness and on area of leg is red sometimes other times is is brown and dry Have difficulty walking sometimes, Balance problem. Had concern because I was line dancing and doing tai chi but recently had to quit. I know about aging, but my right leg is the same age I really do not have any real pain with it.
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later

From description it seems you might having mixed symptoms of venous disease and neuropathy.The skin changes associated with chronic venous insufficiency are sometimes called venous stasis dermatitis and are the result of long-standing swelling and increased pressure in the veins.The discomfort of both leg swelling and leg pain can be improved with compression stockings.
Numbness you have likely to be related to benign causes like electrolyte imbalance, vitamin B 12 deficiency, etc. Most of the times these symptoms can be taken care of by taking electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids and Methylcobalamin supplements. To have better relief, drugs like gabapentin are helpful. But these are prescription medicines and are best if taken under the guidance of your doctor.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.