Have numbing sensation on face, problem in speech, tongue and throat affected. Nasal steroid drop helped. Cause?

Nov 2013

HI, I'm a 47 year old mother of three children. I've been experiencing a numbing sensation on the left side of my face. it is absolutely painless. Sometimes I'm moving my lips in a strange way to get the words out clearly. Towards evening sometimes there's a sensation that i'v something in my left eye, a hair like object, but this also comes and goes. My tongue and throat are also affected. I'm into the second month of this now. My GP on the first visit put me on a course of nasal steroid drops for a month as she said I had two quite swollen pollops in each nostril. This helped regain a sense of taste and smell again but numbness remained. She then put me on a course of steroids, still no improvement. She reckoned I have Trigeminal neuralgia. Can this linger as a painless nuisance? The intensity of the sensations alter from morning to evening, with no particular pattern, Your help and advice is much appreciated, thank you
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be trigeminal neuralgia

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not suggestive of a serious neurological problem.
I agree with your doctor that the most likely cause for your symptoms could be left-sided trigeminal neuralgia (TN). Even though pain is the most common symptom; numbness, tingling, burning, etc can be other symptoms of TN.
In your case, using carbamazepine tablets would help reduce the symptoms.
I would also like to get an MRI scan of the brain done to exclude any underlying cause for your symptoms, if the numbness persists.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,