Have numb hand that started with tingly finger tips. What to do?

I have a numb hand that started with tingly finger tips and the other hand is beginning to get tingly finger tips.
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prasad 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Check your peripheral pulse...

Detailed Answer:

Bilateral numbness with tingly finger can be of vascular causes or neurological causes (peripheral nerves or brain). If the symptoms are almost identical on both sides, I would rate brain related condition lower in the list of causes.

In this instance, I would use the following set of sequence to triage this problem and treat it:
1. First check your peripheral pulse. It gives us direct indication of vascular supply to your limbs. If they are not very well felt, it indicates a vascular compromise. That needs to be dealt on an emergency basis.
2. If peripheral pulse are well felt, I would order you to grip / hold objects. If the objects slip away from your grip, you might need to see a doctor at the earliest.
3. If both peripheral pulse and grip is normal, then I would treat you with vitamin B12 supplements. I use 150mcg of vitamin b12 or equivalent preparation once a day for 2 - 3 weeks. You can ask your chemist about it.
4. If the symptoms progress / you develop fresh symptoms, I would encourage you to follow up with your local physician.
5. Lastly if you do not find improvement with 2 weeks dose of vitamin b12, fix an appointment to your neurologist office for detailed assessment.

You can follow this protocol. You might need help from family/friends to triage the condition as described above.

Hope this helps. Write back for clarifications.