Have noticed while sweating crotch area smells like cat pee. Should I be concerned?

Recently I started to notice when I am sweating my crotch area smells like cat pee. Why is this? Should I be concerned?
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See a dermatoligist

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

Many people (over 3%) of the general population do experience this problem. It might not be rare is you think, so no fears. A clinical review and specific questions need to be addressed to manage this problem. Do you also experience excessive sweating elsewhere? If so where?

The strong odor is due to decomposition of the oily skin substances by skin bacteria. There is also a genetic aspect of this condition. If a parent had it, you might have acquired it from them. People who are obese, who have diabetes and specific skin diseases like bacteria and fungal skin infections are more prone to present with this condition. Maintaining a state of extreme good hegiene, regular washing and drying of these areas alone in some persons improve health outcomes.

Hygiene and use of some topical anti biotics could help. Agents that reduce excessive sweating like Allumium chloride are also used and are helpful. Some complex surgical techniques are available if above cited methods do fail.

I suggest you get a proper consultation from your dermatologist, for an appropriate management plan.

Thanks and kind regards