Have noticed dark spots on labia majora. Had normal smear in past months. What is going on?

May 2013
I am 42 years old & have just noticed 2 dark 'spots' on my labia majora - they are not raised or painful.

I have not been sexually active for 4 years & had normal smear in past 12 months.

Could you help please?
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi Louiseshipway,
thanks for the query.

According to your description the common possibilities are,

- moles: contains melanocytes, though majority of moles appear by first two decades of life, some may seen later also.

-lentigines: occurs due to hyperplasia of melanocytes,
they will be with clearly demarcated edges surrounded by normally appearing skin.

Above two are generally harmless, but if size is increasing, itching, redness, discharge like symptoms occurs you have to consult the doctor.

-lichen planus: Is a chronic mucocutaneous disease,
The exact cause is not known, in can occur due to allergy, drug-induced, high blood pressure, arthritis etc.
At present there is no absolute cure for it, steroids, immunosuppressants, photo therapy etc can be used.

If your lesions are not giving any trouble, you can wait and watch as sometimes these may wax and wane.

But if they are increasing in size and causing any symptoms better visit gynecologist once and get examined.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.