Have noticed cord like tendon in armpit. What could it be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
it looks like a tendon in my armpit very close to the skin. it bisects the armpit vertically very close to the surface of the skin.
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The cord like structure that you have noticed in your armpit is likely to be due to a superficial vein that has a clot or has been inflamed. It is less likely to be due to a tendon or ligament rupture in the area. Most of the times just a simple massage helps in removing the cord like structure.
However it is best to get it examined by your orthopedician for confirmation of diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Have noticed cord like tendon in armpit. What could it be? 5 minutes later
in the event that it is a clotted vein does it pose any threat and should it be declotted for the lack of a better word.
by the way it feels and looks very much like a tendon.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
A clot in the superficial pain is not harmful unless there is an associated inflammation or pain in the area. It is not likely to cause any further complications if it is left like that.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.