Have noticed blackish mole on labia. Have had HPV and genital warts. What can it be?

Mar 2016

I'm 53 and have just noticed when shaving my vagina for bathing suit season that I have 3 very dark small blackish moles on my labia. I have had HPV for 25 years and have been watched closely with routine exams, etc. I had genital warts 25 years ago too ( small whitish bumps) taken care of as well, and theve never returned. Are these dark spots general warts or something due to aging? I'm a little worried.
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

I have viewed your attached image. With positive H/O HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) infection, multiple small dark moles on the labia may increase the risk of developing vulvar melanoma over the time. Most of them are malignant type and associated with slight pain, bleeding, darkening & mole enlargement etc. Here, it needs to be ruled out at the earliest.

Genital warts are usually painless fleshy mass or bump, appeared in cluster with rough texture and vary in color from white to dark/ black. Above said clinical features are not resembled with that.

Other possible reasons are hormonal imbalance with aging, melanin pigmentation, blunt trauma during shaving, effect of chemical irritants/ bath cosmetics etc.

In this circumstances, I advise you to consult with your dermatologist once to proceed over all health check up and clinical examination (including regional & pelvic lymph node assessment). Histopathological examination of the mole is mandatory to confirm the diagnosis. On the basis of that, you can take proper treatment and other suggestive measures.

In the mean time, you take healthy diet, maintain genital hygiene properly, avoid contact of chemical cosmetics/ detergent etc.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen