Have noticed BP is little higher. What to do?

Ayurveda Specialist
Question
Hello Doctor, I am XXXXX, age 34. Since past 4 month I have observed my BP. It is maximum number of times 130/90. Please suggest
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Ayurveda

Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Pre/mild hypertension Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and following points need re evaluation for further line of management. 1. Have you checked with your Lipid- Blood sugar and Thyroid Profile for any cardiovascular risk factor of blood pressure?? 2. I usually follow the given recommended guidelines for my patients and same is expected from your side: i. Age and Sex [there is an average of 20mm Hg systolic and 10mm Hg diastolic increase from age 30 to 65 years]... 34 in your case. And prehypertension is more common in men then in women. [sex] and any family history of the same. ii. Weight : please let me know about your weight [which is a controllable risk factor]. iii. Addiction [alcohol, smoking, salt intake]?? or use of medications like: cold remedies,decongestants,pain killers iv. Physical Lifestyle: is it Sedentary or Active? 3. Did you check with your Health care professional for the same? and did you observed it at SAME time of the day [because reading changes throughout the day]? Do revert back with the clarifications so that Ayurveda Dietary Regime and Management can be initiated. Dr. Munish Sood Consultant & Physician Naimittika

Follow-up: Have noticed BP is little higher. What to do? 4 hours later
Hi Naimittika, Thank you very much for detailed answer and I am very satified on the questions you have raised. I understand that your answer is not just an answer. thanks again for taking care in puting up the questions. Please find the answers to your questions below. 1. Have you checked with your Lipid- Blood sugar and Thyroid Profile for any cardiovascular risk factor of blood pressure?? Ans - No 2. I usually follow the given recommended guidelines for my patients and same is expected from your side: i. Age and Sex [there is an average of 20mm Hg systolic and 10mm Hg diastolic increase from age 30 to 65 years]... 34 in your case. And prehypertension is more common in men then in women. [sex] and any family history of the same. Ans - My mother and father have BP. both are above 55 years. father is 63 and Monther is 55. ii. Weight : please let me know about your weight [which is a controllable risk factor]. Ans - My weight is 75 Kilos and My height is 5 feet and 7 inches iii. Addiction [alcohol, smoking, salt intake]?? or use of medications like: cold remedies,decongestants,pain killersiv. Ans - I don't smoke nor I take drink. May be once is three months. iv. Physical Lifestyle: is it Sedentary or Active? Ans - I usually go for walk in morning, to average for 6 month. 2 months I go for walk in a period of 6 months. 3. Did you check with your Health care professional for the same? and did you observed it at SAME time of the day [because reading changes throughout the day]? Ans - No I will come back on this. Do revert back with the clarifications so that Ayurveda Dietary Regime and Management can be initiated. Regards XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Dietary Regime and Management Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thank you for reverting back with your clarifications. 1. Since there is a positive family history of high blood pressure, thus it highly recommended that you should go for baseline investigations [as mentioned earlier] along with Kidney function test [Blood urea and Serum Creatinine] and Chest X- ray & EKG [electrocardiogram] for underlying cause of silent blood pressure and baseline readings. [if any] 2. Calculating your Height to weight ratio it comes out to be : BMI [body mass index] of 26 which means you are overweight for your height [ideal weight range for your height is 53 kg to 72 kg] 3. Till the laboratory investigations and Health Examinations are done you can incorporate following dietary Regime and Lifestyle changes in your daily routine i. LOW SALT DIET . Total salt intake should not exceed 2.5 gm per day . No extra salt should be taken during meals. . Use Losalt, where salt is essential . Avoid salt rich foods: pickles, papads, sauce, cheese, salted butter/biscuits/peanuts-cashews/butter milk, popcorns, wafers, preserved/tinned food. [Make sure high protein diet is taken in moderation] ii. LOW FAT DIET . Avoid saturated oils [coconut oil, dalda, butter,ghee, cream] instead use monosaturated oils [olive oil] or polyunsaturated oils [sunflower, corn oil] . Avoid all deep fried foods, unskimmed milk, and meat. . Increase fibre intake i.e. leafy vegetables, salads, fruits, pulses and legumes. . Use skimmed milk or double toned low fat milk. iii. Since overweight is an additional concern thus incorporate following in your Diet Manual [which will also take care of Blood pressure] i. Do’s : . Cereals: take old brown rice, maize, barley, . Pulses: chickpea, pigeon pea, green gram, horse gram, . Fruits & Vegetables: brinjal, drum stick [shigru], black grapes, mosumbi. . Others: butter milk [not salted], cardamom, XXXXXXX warm water, intake of water before meals, food substances with pungent, bitter and astringent taste. . Lifestyle: physical exercise, night awakening, massage with medicated powder, sunlight exposure, bathing with lukewarm water. ii. Don’ts: . Cereals: Newly harvested rice, wheat. . Pulses: Black gram . Fruits & Vegetables: potato, sweet potatoes, beets, yam, nuts, fruits with sweet pulp like mango, chickoos, bananas and green grapes. . Others: milk, curd, meat, fish, clarified butter, jaggery, intake of water after meals . Life style: bathing with cold water, day sleeping, luxurious life style, oil massage. iii. Develop healthy eating habits: . Do not eat only 2 large meals a day. It leads to overeating due to hunger. Take snacks in between. It is advisable to eat a good breakfast and light lunch and dinner. . Keep a quiet and pleasant atmosphere in the dining hall. Watching TV while eating, talking, arguments, angry discussions all lead to overeating. . Eat slowly; chewing each bite thoroughly gives a feeling of satiation. . Do not be tempted to finish up the leftovers. . Use nonstick cooking ware for cooking iv. Add 1 spoon smashed fenugreek seeds and boil in 4 cups of water, till 1 cup remains. Filter it and add 4 spoons honey and drink for 1 month PS. Since at this stage no baseline investigations and readings are there, so make sure you incorporate the above mentioned Ayurveda Regime, and if Investigations or examination comes out to be slightly concerning, then Ayurveda Medicine (s) can be initiated in the current prescription. Dr. Munish Sood Naimittika.

Follow-up: Have noticed BP is little higher. What to do? 3 days later
Dr Munish, Thank you once again for detailed answer. Next week I am going for full body check up. I will send you the report results. As for today onwards I have started morning walk (again) and XXXXXXX pranayama and . As adviced I will start fenugreek seeds medicine. I will keep you posted. Regards, XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Follow up Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for reverting back with information concerning General Examination and Investigations. I'll be waiting to address your concerns. Dr. Munish Sood Naimittika