Have notalgia paresthetica. Is this from severe cervical stenosis or shingles vaccine?

Pediatrician
Question
How can I tell whether I have notalgia paresthetica from severe cervical stenosis (confirmed by MRI), or as a result of a shingles vaccine which I had shortly before my Waldenstrom's macroglobulinemia was diagnosed?
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 53 minutes later

Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX

Shingles vaccine will not result in pain and hence need not be confused with notalgia paresthetica.

If you had chicken pox previously then it can get reactivated later during older age or when immunity decreases as herpes zoster which can cause severe pain initially then followed by vesicles over a specific region of body. Herpes zoster pain (Post herpetic neuralgia) can be confused with notalgia paresthetica.

Shingles vaccine can cause sometimes few vesicles like that of chicken pox but will not cause pain in such a short span of time. So your pain is probably due severe cervical stenosis.

If you have any other query, I am happy to help you or else kindly close the query and rate it.

Dr. Balaji MD

Follow-up: Have notalgia paresthetica. Is this from severe cervical stenosis or shingles vaccine? 1 hour later
Thank you for your consideration and answer. My symptoms are more itching than pain, and I first had this about a month after the Zoster vaccine. Now, more than a year later, it has flared up again. First I had very tender places on my scalp, pain in my ear, (largely resolved) and now bilateral itching on my upper back, almost constant. There was a tiny. very tender rash on my temple into my scalp, which is now gone. I know that Waldenstrom's can also have neurologic manifestations, and that live vaccines should not be used in the condition (I found out too late).
In response to your answer, assuming it relates to cord impingement, I will resume traction and exercise. I also have osteoporosis, but have refused bisphosponates due to the side effects which I feel are underreported.
This is a great service!

Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 17 minutes later

Thanks for giving more information about your disease.

Notalgia paresthetica more often presents as itching rather than as pain. Hence this symptom of itching supports our diagnosis. I am happy that you are resuming traction exercises.

Just keep maintaining good health by taking good nutritious food, vegetables, fruits because decrease in health will decrease immunity and worsen the situation with live varicella vaccines.

Dr. Balaji MD