Have not gained weight during pregnancy. Want quick and healthy ways to gain weight

Hi, I am currently 17 weeks pregnant. I am 165cms height and weigh 60 kg. But I have not gained weight during pregnancy. Infact I was weighing 61.5kg at 8th week. After that my weight got reduced and since then it is maintaining 60kgs constantly. My doc advised me to gain 5kgs of weight within the 21st week. Please suggest some of the quick and healthy ways to gain weight.
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 44 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Based on your height and weight, your BMI or body mass index is completely normal at 22.

Women who have a BMI in the normal range, such as yourself, need to understand that caloric intake does not need to increase in early pregnancy as weekly weight gain in the first trimester should be minimal.

Later in pregnancy (I will say after 20 weeks), caloric intake needs to increase by only 200 to 300 calories per day to achieve one pound (0.5 kg) weight gain per week.

Here is a quote from a reputable source that might be helpful for you:

"Although weighing all prenatal patients at every prenatal visit is routine in the United States, National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidelines suggest that women who begin pregnancy with a normal BMI and do not have comorbidities (eg, diabetes) do not need to be weighed repeatedly during pregnancy as a matter of routine, but should be weighed again after the first prenatal visit if clinical management will be influenced or if nutrition is a concern XXXXXXX

It does not sound like nutrition is a concern. It might be a good idea to XXXXXXX with a Nutritionist, in your case, to talk about the types of foods you can eat to increase your calories and gain weight.

I hope this helps. Good luck!