Have nose bleeds with large clots. Have headaches. On medication for high blood pressure. What to do?

I have been getting nosebleeds with some large clots in the past couple of weeks. I have had headaches every 2-3 days high up on the front left of my forehead. I am on medication for high blood pressure. Should I be worried?
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer....apparently looks to be due to high blood pressure.
Detailed answer....
Although  apperently it appears that your high blood pressure may be the cause for your recurrent nasal bleed but the fact is that there can be various causes for your bleeding like..
Local nasal causes like..
Repeated pricking of nose
Dry nasal passage
Repeated use of nasal decongestants
Blowing your nose very hard
Use of snorting drugs like cocaine
Some tumour in nasal cavity.
General disease like...
Bleeding disorders like haemophilia
Use of blood thinners like aspirin,clopidogrel,warfarin etc

Since it is not possible to examine you,the best would be that you go to a ENT and get yourself examined and investigated.The treatment would depend upon finding the cause.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Have nose bleeds with large clots. Have headaches. On medication for high blood pressure. What to do? 27 minutes later
thank you for your answer. I forget to add I had a rhinoplasty and septoplasty in April 2012 for deviated septum/nose injury. My blood pressure the other day was 137/92 - is that an acceptable BP for someone on Coveram (hypertension meds) or should it be lower?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 minutes later
Ideally your BP should be around 130/80-85 and so your reading of 137/92 is just marginally raised and so it should not be the cause for your headaches and recurrent bleeding.
However,since you had nasal surgery earlier,some nasal cause looks to be more probable.
In my opinion,you should consult your ENT doctor again for a nasal inspection and examination.