Have normal periods, after delivery pain in abdomen during mid cycle. Is it Ovulation pain?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi Doctor,

This is XXXXXXHere from Bangalore INDIA.
I am 29 years old mother of 2 kids.(daughter- 6 yrs old, son - 2 yrs)
I generally have normal periods 30 to 32 days. After my daughter is born, i used to feel some severe pain in my lower abdomen exactly 14 to 15 days of my periods (guessing ovulation pain - confirm pls?) which lasts for 45 mins - 1 hr. I m not sure whther it comes for every mid cycle. But felt it most of the times every month till now.
Last month i have done the laproscopic sterlisation (fallpian ring clamp method) on 16 th April and my periods was on 13. Now I felt the same abdominal pain this month also on 30 th April. Please throw me idea on the same.
What kind of treatment i can take for the same, Becuase the pain will be sever for 30 mins , i was not able to move at all. But it will go off after 1 hr . will ovulation pain occurs after successful sterilisation also.

Thanks in advance.
XXXXXX

Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX

Yes, the pain you are having could be most possibly ovulatory pain.
During ovulation some amount of peritoneal irritation can occur and that can cause pain.
In sterilization, the rings will be applied to fallopian tubes.
This will only block the passage of sperms and ovum to prevent the fertilization.
But it will not stop ovulation or menstruation.
So the ovulation will occur as usual.
If you are having severe pain during ovulation, you can take symptomatic treatment with oral antispasmodics. And usually the pain will subside soon.

For more details:http://srsree.blogspot.in/2012/08/mittelschmerz.html

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Have normal periods, after delivery pain in abdomen during mid cycle. Is it Ovulation pain? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for the reply.
Can you suggest me the oral medicine that I can consume for the smae during the pain. Will it relive my pain asap. Beacause it satuyas only for few mins, but bit severe, so i cannot speak or see somone. i ll just go and lie down holding my stomach.

Also one mor equery, my sterlisation was done on 16 th april. after how many days i can have sexual intercourse. Do i need to use any contraception for inital months.
Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 33 minutes later

You can take any one of the anti-spasmodics like meftal spas, T spas, cyclo-mef etc.
You take the tablet immediately when you get the sensation that you are going to get the pain.
So that it can prevent the severity of pain.
After surgery abstinence for one month is enough. No need of any contraception after that.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Have normal periods, after delivery pain in abdomen during mid cycle. Is it Ovulation pain? 59 minutes later
Thanks for the reply.
One month meant after i get my next periods.
Or after 1 mnth by date if not getting my periods also.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 7 hours later

It is one month after the date of surgery irrespective of your periods.