Have normal TSH, t3 and t4 levels. Had sonography of thyroid. What are the findings?

I had a sono of my thyroid. Results were the right lobe of the thyroid gland is heterogeneous. 0.2x0.3x0.2 hypoechoic nodule in midpole. 2.9x2.1x1.6cm predominantly solid nodule in the midpole. I have appt with endo on 6/27, just nervous. Normal tsh t3 and t4 levels
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 50 minutes later

With thyroid hormone levels within normal levels, I consider there not to be any serious condition behind.

A FNAC (Fine needle aspiration cytology) of the nodule and a Isotope scan would be necessary to identify the type and nature of the nodule. Based on the above facts treatment can be planned.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Have normal TSH, t3 and t4 levels. Had sonography of thyroid. What are the findings? 1 minute later
Ok so what is the soon saying.
Your reply stated because thyroid levels are normal , this is not considered a serious condition. What does that mean. I was looking for someone to explain what the sono results meant
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 33 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

The right lobe is heterogenous, means the lobe of the gland is not uniform in its structural aspects which could be due to fluid amongst the acini (secretary structures in the gland ) or colloid filled acini which could be normal most of times due to routine activity of the gland.

Hypoechoic nodule indicates presence of a nodule which either contains clear fluid like water or colloid. This could be a cystic swelling secondary to inflammatory destruction to the acini.

Heterogenicity of the gland and a Hypoechoic nodule with normal thyroid hormone levels usually rules out cancer but it has to be supported with few more investigations like FNAC and a Isotope scan.

Hope, I answered your query.