Have normal TSH, elevated thyroglobulin antibody. Feeling fatigue, hair loss. Hashimotos disease?

I have a normal TSH and an elevated thyroglobulin antibody of 308. I am extremely fatigued lossing hair all the symptoms of hypothyroidism. My doctor mentioned hashimotos disease. Do they need more lab for a definitive dx or what am I looking at here. I am getting desperate.
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

First of all, hypothyroidism is the main indicator of Hashimoto's disease. The diagnosis of which depends completely on a clinical history, current presentation and blood work (including thyroid hormone levels and thyroid antibody level).

But, only clinical history and thyroid blood tests are not sufficient to give details of the exact cause. A combination of the patient's clinical history, antibody screening (as mentioned above), along with a thyroid scan can help diagnose the precise underlying thyroid problem more clearly. If a pituitary or hypothalamic (parts of the brain responsible for production of thyroid hormone) cause is suspected, an MRI of the brain and other studies may be warranted. These investigations should be made on a case by case basis, and not by default in all cases.

I hope you found this information helpful, please do write back to me with further clarifications, if any; and I would gladly clarify.

Best wishes.