Have normal HDL, LDL, cholesterol, blood pressure. Found raised CRP level. What does this indicate?

Cardiologist, Interventional
I got my blood work done. I have HDL, LDL, Cholesterol, blood pressure normal. Yet the C reactive protein test results are 13.6 mg/L What does that indicate? The normal range os 0-8 mg/L but above 3 is indicative of cardiac. If the HDL/LDL the HDL ratio, Cholesterol, blood pressure is all normal then what would be the reason CRP to be so high. Does the reading keep changing? My doctor just asked me if I have joint pains? But did not suggest any more tests or medication. When I browsed the different indications of high CRP I am now getting worried and also about why my Doctor did not take it serious and asked to do more tests. Can anyone throw some light?
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. (Prof.) Subroto Mandal 2 hours later

I was able to view your reports. As per your description all the reports are normal except C- reactive protein. Therefore let me try to allay your fears.

In general CRP is a marker of chronic Inflammation. Anybody with long inflammatory disease may have the raised CRP. In the absence of other inflammatory disease, this may be a marker of heart disease.

That being said, CRP has only supportive value. Independently, it has not diagnostic value. In simple terms, in the presence of diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and known heart disease, high CRP has some importance. If not, only a high CRP has no value.

CRP may raise many other condition; in your case its marginally raised, hence do not worry.

The reason to investigate you further is the choice of your treating doctor. If he wants to do other test, it only means he/she wants to find out any other conditions missed. So stay relaxed.h arthritis also.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need clarifications

Follow-up: Have normal HDL, LDL, cholesterol, blood pressure. Found raised CRP level. What does this indicate? 15 hours later
Dr. Subroto Mandal,Thank you for responding. That puts my worries at rest however, is there any test which gives the indication of the raised level of C reactive protein. It indicates inflammation. What inflammation one can have if I am feeling alright, the test results are in front of you, I just have some inflammatory or slight pain in left breast, I am doing mammogram today for the same. SOmetimes have knee pains when I climb stairs etc no much though.Thanks,XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. (Prof.) Subroto Mandal 10 hours later
Hello and welcome again....
As your doctor asked about your Joint pain, that means he has some suspicion about your joint inflammation.

As you said, you have slight pain in breast that may be reason for raised CRP.

So, as CRP is not specific for Cardiac disease, be happy. Specially you don't have any cardiac complaints.

Do not worry and be Happy.

Wish you healthy heart...

Follow-up: Have normal HDL, LDL, cholesterol, blood pressure. Found raised CRP level. What does this indicate? 3 days later
Dr Subroto,

Thank you for the wishes, I have taken off as of now any thought of any possible cardiac related issues and the high c reative protein may be due to inflammation as I got back of my left shoulder and left neck pain to the left jaw (like straining the muscles) over the weekend. It is worse however, I am not worried as there is no chest pain or discomfort. Thank you for helping me answer my questions.

Answered by Dr. (Prof.) Subroto Mandal 7 hours later

It's really great to know that you have taken off all the worries about your heart related problem.

It is now clear that high CRP is due other reason. So, enjoy your good health . . .

Wish you a healthy life . . .

Please close this discussion if you have no more queries to me.
If you wish to post queries to me in future you can post them here:
Good luck. . .