Have non-painful swelling on scrotum. Apart from keeping clean should I apply ice?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have non-painful swelling on the left side of my scrotum. As I was camping and probably had less than normal hygiene, I'm wondering if they may have caused it. Besides keeping the area super clean should I be applying ice?
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 40 minutes later
Hi And welcome to XXXXXXX , thank you for the query.
No, It is not advisable to apply ice on scrotum since it can only decrease penis blood flow and it won't facilitate healing.
this is not usually caused by poor hygiene. There are several causes such as hydrocele, hernia,epididimal cyst or varicocele. These are benign conditions and if swelling don't pull back in next 1-2.weeks,you should do ultrasound of testicles and inguinal region.
if this become painful then it might be infection such as epididimitis and the. It should be treated by antibiotics. So just wait for some days and see will there be progression. Try not to have sexual intercourse and masturbation, avoid long standing and if you notice signs of infection or there is lot of pain,you need to visit urologist. Regards. Wish you good health