Have non hodgkin lymphoma, diabetes, chronic leg pain. Appearance of blood clots on the thighs after travelling. Is it an emergency?

inner thigh mottlingHello, I am a non hodgkin lymphoma patient, I have diabetes, chronic leg pain, and a host of other chronic conditions. my husband and I recently car traveled to another state in a big move. we were on the road allot. I have dark mottling on both my inner thighs and XXXXXXX pain undernieth. I am wondering if I can wait to check in with my new doctors in abouth month? or is this an ER visit I should be making?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you have reported.

The fact that you have a history of non-Hodgkin lymphoma, is certainly significant and something that we cannot ignore. I imagine that you have been treated or are currently in some type of commission. The extended trip which you took certainly puts you at somewhat of a risk for development of a blood clot. I think the symptoms what you're reporting do not necessarily reflect a 100% certain type of blood clot. I am more inclined to think that what occurred is some inflammation under the XXXXXXX tissue of your legs. This can sometimes lead to some swelling and occasionally some bleeding under the skin.

It would be very unusual for you to develop blood clots on both sides of your body. With that being said, I am still very concerned about the amount of pain you are experiencing. I honestly would not wait to have this evaluated. I would do my best to see a physician at some point within the next 24 hours. This may include a visit to a primary physician office or possibly an emergency broom. I know this is sometimes inconvenient, but I think the risk of waiting too long if this is something serious is far outweighed by the benefit of having it evaluated more immediately.

In the absence of being able to examine you, it is somewhat difficult for me to say this with good confidence but I really think somebody needs to evaluate you and perform a focused clinical examination.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert