Have non-displaced spiral fracture. Getting tingling sensation from hand to elbow. Will this cure naturally?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
i have a non-displaced spiral fracture of the left fourth metacarpal. My hand is now immobilized in a splint. The injury is now 48 hours old. I had "pins and needles" tingling from my hand to my elbow for two days, but now that feeling is diminishing now that the splint is on ( splint on for 16 hours now) Can I just let this heal naturally without having to see a ortho specialist? Or is there a treatment that must be done due to soft tissue injury? I would rather not spend a ton of money I don't have to spend if extra treatment is not absolutely necessary.
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry sir.
It would be helpful if you attached xray report.
But considering what you ve said there is absolutely no need for extra treatment. This extra treatment can be only open surgical procedure which is at metacarpal bones fracture indicated in only few rare cases.
These are open fractures, intraarticular fractures with dislocation and fractures with length and rotational abnormalities.
Metacarpal bones are well fixed bones cause of numerous ligaments, tendons and muscles around it. So it would heal properly even without immobilization.
Tingling is usual and temporary after such injuries just need to be sure that splint isnt compressing nerves to tight. If there was nerve injury you would have symptoms proximaly, in fingers. Artery and vein damage would manifest with lack of pulse in 4.finger, oedema of wrist and pain.
Ligament damage would cause inability to bend or extend 4. finger.
So if you have some of these symptoms there might be soft tissue damage which needs surgical repair.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help