Have nodules on the dorsal part of feet. Tested negative for hiv, hep c and fungal. Any suggestions?

Hello, I'm from NJ and ive had these 'nodules' on the dorsal part of both feet for over five years now. They spare the bottom of my feet and toes and dont itch. My doctor referred me to a dermatologist who did a 2mm punch biopsy, she told me she was testing specifically for hiv, hep c and fungal. All which came back negative and my bloodwork is normal. I have no allergies. My biopsy came back as "superficial perivascular lymphohistiocytic inflammatory cell infiltrate", and she said to come back if they bothered me in the future. I've tried rx steroid creams although they dont itch, have changed shoes and soaps countless times and still theyre there. I dont know what else to do, suggestions????
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
The nodules on your feet are likely to be due to chronic inflammation in the area. Since the biopsy has come negative for any kinds of infections, there is nothing to worry.
Most of the times these nodules do stay as it is without causing any problems.
You can use creams containing alpha-hydroxy, lactic or salicylic acid or urea after consulting your dermatologist. Topical creams like retonoids like Retin A are also useful but should be used under medical guidance. Moisturizing lotions to soothe the skin and help it look better are also helpful.
In case these are persistent and are cosmetically bothersome then you can consider getting these removed with Laser therapy.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Have nodules on the dorsal part of feet. Tested negative for hiv, hep c and fungal. Any suggestions? 15 hours later
thank you. Is there a way to find out whats causing the inflammation or is the spectrum too broad?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The causes of chronic inflammation can be many and are difficult to detect.
Most commonly it is due to a chronic irritation due to shoes but it is not likely in your case since you have changed them many times already.
Regular massage in the area may be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.