Have nodule type lump on the antihelix part of ear. Should I go for biopsy?

Jul 2012

My mother has a nodule type lump (about size of a pea) on the antihelix part of her ear. Has had it for 6 months or so. It is fleshy coloured looks fairly smooth. Slight pale crusting or dryness. It started off very tiny but has grown slightly but has not got any bigger over the last few weeks. Has been to the doctor twice as it has become very painful and caused the inside of the ear to become very red. Has been treated twice with antibiotics. Redness now gone and ear looks much calmer, however ear is still painful to sleep on? Doctor wants to do a biopsy?
Should we be worried.
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 3 hours later
Hi there.
Nope there is no need to be worried especially as it is least if you are worried about the Big 'C'.
Go ahead with the biopsy but try to make it an excision biopsy that will serve both the purpose of removal as well as confirmation as to what exactly it is!
Chondrodermatitis helixis nodularis is my educated guess online & if such, my recommendation of excision or a steroid injection into it will both serve to obliterate the lesion..will go with the former.
Do let me know the biopsy result...i love being right! ;-) & I wish your mother good health & a happy conclusion to this particular scenario. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India

Follow-up: Have nodule type lump on the antihelix part of ear. Should I go for biopsy? 16 hours later
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 10 minutes later
Am Happy for you XXXXXXX .glad i could be of help; Please do me a favour & if time permits, rate us as else, it keeps popping up as a follow-up query by default die to the system glitch; Tx & Hope the outcome is as good & all well on the western front! Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD