Have nodes in extremities. How to get rid of this?

Sep 2012

Please, let me know, if my suspicion of Lymphoma is a strong possibility. I'm seeing my neurologist today and need to prepared. I do NOT want to come across like a hysterical female.
Can you please help me, Dr. Christensen? If I'm on the right path, just tell me YES or NO.

I'll be glad to pay the fee once I see things a bit clearer. Thank you for your assistance.

Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 13 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

In your description, you have mentioned that you have the nodes in extremities. But, a lymph node can be rarely found in extremities.

Mainly, in our body, lymph nodes are present at arm pits, neck, behind the ears, below jawline and groin.

So, here is my question – in extremities, what is the exact location of the lump?
And since when have you found these?
You told me that they are painful. But, lymph nodes are painful only when they are inflamed, like in viral infection.

Please provide me these information in follow up question.

Follow-up: Have nodes in extremities. How to get rid of this? 13 minutes later
I've had the pronounced lymphnodes in the places you described in your response, the nodules in my arms & legs, I've noticed them in the past 6 - 9 mos., thinking maybe they are do to cellulite, but I'm not a heavy person (140 lbs.). I've also noticed some swelling and am extremely tired & Discouraged.

Please refer me back to Dr. Christensen since I started my initial query with him.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 37 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

First of all, Dr. Christensen helped you to post this query. But it was posted in open to all category. For that reason I am answering you.

If you feel that my answers are not helpful you can ask for refund. But i think, you will not be disappointed.

From your description, the nodules do not sound like a lymph node. Because the duration is very long. I mean, in our clinical experience we generally find patients with lymph nodes for 15 to 20 days.

Now, you told me that they are painful. My suspicion is neurofibroma. In very early stage, they nodules are easily mistaken for lymph nodes. And in neurofibroma, nodules are present for long duration, painful, present all over the body.

In contrast, in lymphoma, lymph nodes are present in one / both sides of neck, in groin and armpit. Not in other parts of body. They are not painful. Patients notice these nodules within 15 to 20 days. Usually, they notice the nodes, because of sudden increase in size.

To differentiate these two conditions, you have to be examined clinically. Size of the nodes, position, shape, consistency, mobility, relation with the underlying structures, tenderness, all should be noted carefully.

A fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) from the node is the next step. FNAC can easily differentiate between lymph node and neurofibroma.

Lastly, most probably, it is neurofibroma. But, consult with the doctor for confirmation of diagnosis.

Hope, you have your answers. Let me know, if you have any more question.