Have neuromas in foot. Treatment besides surgery?

I have had 3 neuromas removed in the past. It has been at least 12 years since I had one removed and now I have another one on my right foot.
Is there any other treatment besides surgery? I am prone to infections and I am not looking forward to having another neuroma removed. Do you have any suggestions? Should I start on antibiotics before surgery? I really do not want any more antibiotics than I absolutely need. I have had problems taking antibiotics -- diarrhea leading to "C Dif". I wear comfortable shoes and have not worn heels in 20+ years. XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

I understand you have a neuroma on your right foot. I presume since you are considering surgery that it is causing you significant pain and discomfort. If you have tried the over the counter remedies such as foot soaks and orthotics (devices you put in your shoes) then your only option may be surgery. You may want to try to get a second opinion etc.

In regards to antibiotics I would not take any anti biotics unless your surgeon tells you to do so. The most important thing to remember after any kind of surgery is to eat right, stay healthy and keep the wound clean.

I hope this has answered your questions. Please let me know if I can help with anything else.