Have nervous tick in leg. Having pressure in leg. EEG results normal. Brain tumor?

May 2014

Doctor, I am going crazy trying to find answers to my problem. I am a 25 year old woman who has had a nervous tick in her left leg for about 4 years now. Sometimes I also have slight pressure in the bottom part of my head. Recently I have been exercising more often, which in turn has made my muscles a bit sensitive, especially my left arm (I am right-handed). Now, I am really worried I might have a small brain tumor. My doctor told me to get an MRI and an EEG, but my insurance only approved the EEG, so I could not get the MRI. My EEG results were normal (I received these about two weeks ago), but I am still worried. Doctor, what is your opinion on this? Is there a slight chance I might have a brain tumor? I'm going nuts about this.
Moreover, something weird I noticed recently was that since I started going to the gym this year in January the tick that was before in my left calf is no longer there, but has now moved to the arch of my left foot. My doctor also said there was a chance that I may suffer from anxiety. What do you think?
Thank you for your help.
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

From the information provided, you are a 25 years old lady who is otherwise physically fit except for a tick problem that is about 4 years old and a slight pressure at the bottom part of your head. Presently however, the tick has moved on to the arch of your left foot. EEG results done two weeks back are normal.

With this, let me re assure you that there is a very rare possibility of anything wrong in your brain. Brain tumors often cause severe symptoms like:
Loss of balance
Visual problems
Severe headache

You are not experiencing any such problems so the likelihood of a brain tumor is a remote possibility.

If you are still insisting on getting an imaging investigation of your brain done to confirm that everything is normal, there are two suggestions:
1. You could get a MRI brain Screening examination (which costs quite less when compared to a complete MRI brain scan)
2. Please find out if your insurance company allows CT scan brain examination and go for it. (CT scan cost is much less).

Lastly, you could be having a bit of anxiety which can be easily controlled with the help of a psychiatrist. I agree to what your doctor has said and anxiety is a treatable condition.

Hope your question is answered.
Wish you good health.

Dr Vivek
Follow-up: Have nervous tick in leg. Having pressure in leg. EEG results normal. Brain tumor? 2 hours later
Thank you for your answer. It helped a lot.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 6 minutes later
You are welcome.

Wish you good health.

Dr Vivek