Have nerves or muscles twitch. Can strained muscle in face lead to headaches?

Dermatologist
Question
Why do nerves or muscles twitch? Can a strained muscle in the face lead to headaches?
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Thanks for the query. The most common cause or muscle twitch is low calcium level. Twitch can also be seen after partial nerve injury.
Yes muscle strain of face can lead to headache, as the nerve supply of both face and scalp is by same nerve. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you

Follow-up: Have nerves or muscles twitch. Can strained muscle in face lead to headaches? 16 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX
I think I strained a muscle in my face by reaching up higer than I should have. The headache has subsided after a few days, but occassionally I feel something like twitch in that area where the pain began. I did visit my doctor who did a few tests in his office and said he did not think it was anything neurological. What would you prescribe? Willl heat or cold help?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 10 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
Heat or cold help when there is inflammation. You have only twitch so I dont think it is going to help.
In my view you can take vitamin B complex daily for a month also take calcium. This should take care of your condition. Dont worry its not a major problem. You will recover soon. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you.