Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Have nerve pain, muscle spasms and numbness with chest pain. Imaging test negative. Cause and treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
Hi I am 31 year old male named XXXXX. I continue to have inexplicable symptoms that are progressive in nature. Two primary symptoms are universal nerve pains with muscle spasms and numbness/tingling as well, and chest pain that is upper chest and comes in waves with exertion and or stress. The chest pain has lead me to multiple imaging tests and all were negative. As these neurological symptoms progress and more muscles twitch and I have more flashing nerve pain I have begun to believe I should be looking into infectious diseases that could attack the nervous system as a whole and could be at the same time affecting bronchial in chest. Any suggestions I have an appointment with neuro in a month but getting worse by the day.
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
unlikely infection, the investigation may help

Detailed Answer:

Based on your description, I do not believe you have an infection. There is no infection that will affect nerves and bronchi and leave you otherwise mobilised. Further your negative radiological scans also suggest against infection.

The pain and other group of symptoms might be due to Fibromyalgia. If you been having depressive thoughts the pain may be secondary to chronic depression. If I were to be your treating doctor, I would order blood investigations - Complete blood counts, ESR, CRP, vitaminB12 levels to rule out neuropathy of deficiency state and an XRay chest. If test are negative, I would seriously consider the aforementioned two conditions and refer you to the respective specialist for further evaluation.

I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have nerve pain, muscle spasms and numbness with chest pain. Imaging test negative. Cause and treatment? 4 hours later
Let's not talk about depression as a possible cause of widespread nerve pain and muscle spasms, that is not a satisfactory answer. And neither is stress. I have read all over about mds wanting to pin these kind of symptoms that are difficult to diagnose as "Secondary" to simple stress or emotions. That being said, I will respect the notion that it is not an infection, so where does that leave me. I have tested thyroid and b12 in blood, and have had ncv test on peripherals. I am wanting to get emg done with neuro. Chest pain seems to be closer to outside of chest wall and higher up than heart but FYI I also had echo that showed healthy. If I am unwilling at this point to simply write this off as bfs and hope I get better, would you think that mri of brain or back would be most cost effective? Along with emg. I am someone who never visited a doc before and now need to decide If expensive scan of those areas are worth it because now I of course have this high deductible plan which is costing me my rear to explore these problems.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 44 hours later
Brief Answer:
have a relook.

Detailed Answer:

Mostly such pains are either musculoskeletal in origin or as I mentioned due to fibromyalgia. I did not want to offend you or write you off attributing to depression alone; but I just wanted you to be aware that depression per se can also cause similar symptoms. If you have been to an MD and after examination he is in favor of the diagnosis of depr...... related pain then there is no harm accepting it and undergoing suitable treatment.

At this point, I do not seem to find any serious XXXXXXX pathology. You can consider Chest MRI; but I do not find any reasons for ordering brain MRI - that may be unnecessary.
Please get the advised work up. Vit.B12 you have already done and is normal.

If your MD hasn't found any significant abnormality to detect the cause of your problems, you may consider discussing about fibromyalgia. Rheumatologist referral may be necessary.

Hope this helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor