Have nerve damage. Causing pain. Taking Gabapentin. Having side effects like confusion, memeory problems and concentration.

Nov 2013

I have a question probably best suited for a Neurologist. I have nerve damage from an accident, which causes me pain and the sensation that my legs are on fire. Currently, I take Gabapentin 900mg 3x day. It helps greatly but the medication has many side effects. On my last visit to see my Neurologist, we discussed alternative meds. He said that Gabapentin and related meds all come from the same family and that changing meds really wouldn't help. I can't accept that. I want/need to reduce the side effects such as: confusion, memory problems, concentration difficulties, dry mouth, blurred vision, etc. There has to be something out there that is as effective as Gabapentin but with fewer side effects. I'm fed up and need to get some control back of my faculties. Thanks in advance.
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregabalin and duloxetine are alternatives

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

It is unfortunate that you have severe neuropathic pain, and are not able to tolerate high doses of gabapentin. I agree with you that there are alternatives for gabapentin, with lesser side effects.

Perhaps, the most commonly used among them is pregabalin. The usual starting dose is 75 mg once daily, and the dose can be increased to 300-600 mg per day depending on the tolerability and efficacy. I agree that pregabalin belongs to the same class as gabapentin, but the efficacy is better and side effects lesser as compared to gabapentin.

The other commonly used drugs is duloxetine. The starting dose is 20 mg per day and can be safely increased to 120 mg per day or more, in two divided doses.

In addition, a small dose of nortryptiline or amitryptiline may be added at bed time, and the dose of gabapentin reduced.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist