Have neck pain. Taking tryptomer, weight increased. Is it due to medicine?

Question
I have neck pain, doctor has advised me to take tryptomer 20 mg daily thrice. I seem that I my weight has increased from 2 to 3 kgs .. My question is does tryptomer increase weight as I am weight conscious?
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 28 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query to this forum.

You are having neck pain. We need to know reason for pain. Neck pain commonly occurs due to cervical Spondylosis, neck muscle spasm, or disc problem.

You are taking Tryptomer 20 mg daily thrice; yes it can cause weight gain and is generally used for neuropathic pain (Nerve Pain). Weight gain also depends on your diet and decreased physical activity.
Common side effects are dry mouth, fast heart rate, dizziness.

Please discuss with your Physician if your pain is better. The dose can be reduced after consulting him/her.

Hope this information helps you. If you have any further query, please ask me, I will be happy to help.

Regards.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Follow-up: Have neck pain. Taking tryptomer, weight increased. Is it due to medicine? 1 hour later
Sorry I am taking 10 mg thrice daily and I have cervical spondylosis and hands pain. Should I take Tryptomer for a longer period and if so how please advise

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 12 minutes later

Thanks for your input.

Cervical Spondylosis can cause nerve pain. Cervical exercises, physiotherapy in the form of traction or Short wave diathermy may be helpful in reducing pain. Also remember to use small pillow.

Please discuss with your treating doctor to reduce dose as you are gaining weight, to once a day, if possible. Alternative like pregabalin can be used.

Vitamin B12 supplementation is also useful for such pain.

Hope I have addressed your queries; still I will be available for clarification if any.

Regards.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

I take vitamin b12 supplement Nurokind LC, I am regular user of computer, I work on computer but dont do much of typing .. My question is can I work in this computer job having cervical neck pain... I dont have neck pain but I have hands pain... please advise.

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later
Thanks for your follow up,

This is good you are taking B 12 supplements, sometime patients respond better with injections of vitamin B12, discuss with your Physician.

You can certainly continue with desk job including computer just take care of your posture and screen should be at proper level and angle so that doesn't cause strain in neck.

Physiotherapy that is exercises of neck are very important, please do them regularly.

I am sure you will improve soon. Take care.

Hope I have answered your all queries; please rate my answer with nice review before closing this discussion.

Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.