Have nasal infection, lump in back of throat, runny nose, sore throat, mucus. Your opinion?

ENT Specialist

I have a pretty gross issue but I guess you would have have heard it all before! I have in the past couple of years had several bad flus/nasal infections which seem to start and end the same way. For months I have felt as though I have had a lump in the back of my throat/behind the nose that I occasionally felt was obstructing my breathing, with an occasional runny nose. This week, I developed an agonising sore throat and went to the doctor and was prescribed Amoxil. After blowing and blowing and blowing my nose today I finally gagged and coughed up a thick plug of tissue/mucus and felt a bit clearer in my nose/throat. This has happened a few times over the past few years as I mentioned. I have looked and looked on the internet but cannot find anything which describes the gross thing I cough up and I would be interested in your opinion and to find out whether there is anything I can do. It is thick, solid and stretchy and marbled with blood. Yes, I took a pic of it tonight ...
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Thick mucus means a stasis of normal nasal secretions.

2. Thick, solid mucus may be due to fungal infection.

3. Blood stained mucus may signify active inflammation or infection.

4. Get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) with 1 mm coronal, axial and sagittal cuts done on a multi-slice CT Scan Machine.

5. If the mucus plug seems fleshy, get it sent to a Pathology Lab for an HPE (HistoPathological Examination) to check whether it is a nasal polyp.

6. If you can upload the scan images, it may be possible to give you an accurate diagnosis. Get a video nasal endoscopy done and attach these images, if possible.

7. You may begin treatment with an anti-allergic mucolytic and regular steam inhalation.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.