Have myasthenia and Lupus. Taking medicine for hypertension, cholesterol. Experiencing muscular pain, weakness

Question
HELLO DR.GRIEF, I AM A LADY 69 YEARS OLD WAS PRESCRIBED MICARDIS AND CRESTOR FOR BLOOD PRESSURE AND COLESTEROL HOWEVER THIS MEDICATION IS NOT SO TOLERABLE, AS I AM SUFFERING FROM MYASTENIA GRAVIS AND LUPUS, I FEEL THIS MEDICATION IS CAUSING MOORE MUSCULAR PAIN AND WEAKNESS, CAN YOU PLEASE SUGGEST ONOTHER MEDICATION THAT WOULD ME MOORE TOLERABLE WITH MY CONDITION?
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 hours later

Thanks for sharing your concerns.

You are known to have Myasthenia and Lupus, along with Hypertension and high cholesterol. My comments are as follows:

1. Crestor (Rosuvastatin) - a cholesterol lowering medication, may cause muscle and nerve damage.
Pravachol (pravastatin, another HMG CoA Reductase Inhibitor) and Rosuvastatin theoretically have lower risk of causing such nerve and muscle problem as they are less fat soluble. If your Lipid Profile is OK, then dose of crestor may be reduced after seeking permission from your doctor.

However if lowered dose does not make any difference (worsening your myasthenia), then you must weigh the risks and benefits of coming off the Crestor. Especially considering stroke and heart disease risks, both your primary care doctor and your neurologist should be involved in this decision making.

2. Usually Telmisartan (MICARDIS) is not responsible; so you can continue and keep you BP in desirable range.

Hope this is helpful to you and if you have any further query please feel free to ask me, I will be happy to help you.

Dr. A. Dubey M.D.

Follow-up: Have myasthenia and Lupus. Taking medicine for hypertension, cholesterol. Experiencing muscular pain, weakness 15 hours later
DEAR DR. DUBEY,
I WISH TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVISE, I FOUND IT VERY HELPFUL, YES I WILL CONTINUE ON MICARDIS AND WILL ASK MY DOCTOR TO TRY ME ON PRAVACHOL, FOR A WHILE, TO SEE IF MY MUSCULAR PAIN IMPROVES,
WITH BEST REGARDS, THANK YOU AGAIN, XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 3 hours later
I am glad to know that this was useful for you. If you have no more questions, please rate and review my answer after closing this discussion.

With best Regards.
Dr. A. Dubey M.D.