Have muscle sprain on back. Remedy?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi Dr XXXXXXX , have a muscle sprain on my back its exactly below back neck and in between two shoulder blades
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscle strains will resolve over a period of time.

Detailed Answer:

Muscle strains & spasms will generally resolve spontaneously over a period of time.

Please follow the below mentioned general guidelines -
A collar will prevent unguarded movement; A soft cervical collar is advisable. It should not be used for more than a week or two as it may worsen the condition with prolonged usage.
Analgesic are needed in the acute phase. Muscle relaxants are essential for relieving muscle spasms which generally follows acute pain.
Physiotherapy and Moist heat can be useful

In case the pain is persistent even after taking a mild pain killer, then you might need stronger prescription medicines like muscle relaxants after consulting your orthopedician.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.