Have muscle soreness, sharp pain and burning sensation in stomach. What is going on?

General Surgeon
Question
This is somewhat complicated, but in brief, when I push in on my stomach below the left rib cage, there is a sharp, painful burning sensation. Previously of late, I've had what felt like muscle soreness in that area, possibly from running (I've been running to lose weight, and think perhaps the belly fat bouncing up and down may have put a strain where the muscle connects to the belly?) I don't know what it is.

It has to be pushed in a particular spot to cause the sensation.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

It is very hard to strain the muscle in such single particular spot. Usually some part of the muscle gives pain. And such pain appears when moving the body in the direction where this muscle needs to contract. So this does not sound like a muscular problem.
Such localized in one spot pain in the upper middle abdomen is usually caused by stomach disease. It can be peptic ulcer, acid reflux disease, stomach inflammation. You may also have occasionally heartburn, nausea.
If your pain is more to the right side of the upper abdomen, gallstones are also possible. With this condition, pain appears after a meal, especially fatty, and radiates to the back.
Abdominal hernia in this specific area is also possible, however you should be able to palpate some kind of hole in this area.

I suggest you to have abdominal ultrasound, blood work, liver tests. If nothing will be found, gastroscopy should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.