Have multiple small black headed bumps in the lower penis and red rash on the head of penis. What can this be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have multiple small black headed bumps in the lower left part of my penis. Plus I have what seems like a red rash on the head of my penis. What can this be?
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The red rash on the head of penis is likely to be due to balanitis, an inflammatory state of the glans penis.

It could have occurred due to abrasion of the penis. Since the penis is a highly vascular organ, any slight superficial injury will appear like a red "Angry" looking lesion. But this is a benign condition and heal on its own and subside on its own.

Application of 1 % Hydrocortisone cream to the red and inflammed part of the penis might help reduce the discomfort and sensitivity.
The multiple black headed bumps are likely to be Fordyce's spots.

The spots are a form of ectopic sebaceous gland: normally, sebaceous glands are only found in association with a hair follicle. They are not known to be associated with any disease or illness and are of cosmetic concern only. They aren't infectious and are a natural occurrence on the body.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.