Have multiple sclerosis, diagnosed with osteoporosis and underweight. How to avoid foods with phytic acid?

Although I have Multiple Sclerosis I try and keep active walking and riding my bike before work every day. So I am up very early and am fairly active throughout the day (but I do wobble lots). For the last 10 months my weight has been dropping with occassional increases. I was advised to weigh myself on the same day, at the same time each week - which I have been doing. I am 174cm tall, and now weigh 45.8kg which has left me looking a bit underweight. I had been previously warned that to drop to 45kg was XXXXXXX to my health - is this true? If so, what are the health repercussions? I have recently been diagnosed with osteoporosis and question whether this may have occured due to my low weight. Any thoughts? I have been reading about how people with osteo should remove all foods with phytic and oxalic acids in them - but due to being on the 'MS' diet - i.e. no animal products/minimal saturated fats and high omega 3 intake, there are some foods that contain oxalic and phytic acids that I feel I can't afford to cut out such as multigrain bread, carrots, rolled oats and soy milk. Is it really important that I should have cut these foods out to eliminate phytic acid?
Contact: YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Weight
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Low weight associated with osteoporosis

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query. Essentially, if you calculate the body mass index (BMI, there are online calculators) this gives us a better idea of your nutritional state based on your specific height; normal is considered between 18 and 25; less than 18 for BMI makes you underweight, but it does not necessarily means malnourished.

In terms of the osteoporosis... yes you are indeed young for this complication, but several risk factors, including female gender, low weight, alcohol, tobacco consumption and inactivity have been identified as major risk factors.

My best advise would be not to change your diet, since you are already struggling with it due to your MS, but have your doctor discuss with you the specific medications that we use these days to prevent further bone re-absorbtion, called biphosphonates (eg. alendronate).

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN