Have multiple epiphiseal displacia and had both hips replaced, right revised. What is granliloma disease?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have multiple epiphiseal displacia and had both hips replaced at 23. I am 37 and just had my right hip revised as I had knocked it out of position after falling when I was 28. I now need my left hip revised however the doctor said I had granliloma disease....... ummm.. whats that?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
I think you are talking about chronic granulomatous disease. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Chronic granulomatous disease (CGD) is a genetic disorder in which certain immune system cells like phagocytes are unable to kill some types of bacteria and fungi. This causes formation of multiple granulomas all over the body. This disorder leads to long term (chronic) and repeated (recurrent) infections.
Bone and joint infections are commonly associated with this disorder.
Usually symptomatic treatment with antibiotics is given to control the infections. Gamma interferon therapy helps in controlling the infections.
The definitive treatment is good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.