Have multiple echogenic calculi in the upper pole of kidney. Need surgery?

Jul 2016

please let me know the implications of multiple echogenic calculi with XXXXXXX in the upper pole of rt kidney largest measuring 1.5 cm.also let me know treatment options with/without surgery and time frame
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 43 minutes later

Thanks for your query. Based on the facts and USG report that you have posted, it appears that you have multiple renal calculi in upper pole of Rt.Kidney. Following investigations are mandatory before you opt for treatment.

1) Routine Urine Test and Urine Culture.
2) Intravenous Pyelographhy to asses function of the both kidneys and localise the position and status of Pelvi Calyceal System of the affected kidney.

It will be advisable to get your all stones removed in one sitting by procedure called P.C.N.L which is minimally invasive surgical procedure (Key Hole Surgery )or kidney stone.

Since you have multiple stone, other option of crushing the stone by ESWL is not suitable in your case.This option is advised only for solitary stones of up to 2 cm size and requires multiple sittings.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions. I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.